Re: Patch for MIPS targets...

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 05:08:41PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> "Steven J. Hill" <sjhill@cotw.com> writes:
>
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I would like to submit the following patch to fix Linux MIPS
> > targets. I have tested this patch against 2.2.2, 2.2.3 and
> > the latest out of CVS. This patch is necessary in order to
> > build GLIBC with the latest released binutils and gcc-3.0
> > branch. Thanks.
>
> AFAIK from the discussion on the MIPS list, this patch has the
> following problems:
> - you need the latest binutils from HJ (there's no official GNU
>   release with the changes in) (in this case, I also need a patch for
>   the documentation)

I don't think it is a problem. There are no official gcc releases
with the MIPS changes either. Besides, it is always a good idea to use
mine under Linux or you should get the current one from CVS.

> - This glibc will not work with applications that have been using
>   linked against an older glibc.

I don't know about it. Someone with MIPS has to verify it. On the
other hand, I don't think we have enough MIPS installation base to
worry about it. For the worst case, we give MIPS a new soname. BTW,
I will bet the old MIPS glibc doesn't work too well since binutils
generated the IRIX ABI, but glibc only supports the SVR4 MIPS ABI.
I was wondering if you could send me the output of

# /lib/libc.so.6

with the old MIPS glibc.

H.J.