Re: groff: conflict with prototype arg name in getopt.h

> > But isn't getopt intended for stand-alone use also?  At least getopt.h
> > says so.
>
> Then change it for those environments.  There is absolutely no
> reason to reduce the usefulness of the header (which serves as part
> of the documentation) just because some idiotic systems cannot
> handle it.  This file exists in this form for ages.  Somebody
> deliberately introduced problems.

I'm not happy about this.  I consider a `stand-alone' package to be as
portable as possible (following the ANSI standards for a normal C file
not part of a library).  It would be sufficient to put the argument
names in comments, something like

  int getopt(int /* __argc */, ...

This still serves as the document part but increases portability.

Modifying getopt.h and introducing #ifdef's specially for groff is
something which I would like to avoid.

    Werner