Re: Copyright issue with memcpy/memset parts of the CRIS port

> From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
> Date: 10 Apr 2001 13:17:14 -0700

> Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com> writes:
>
> > Which should cover (at least) usage of the code in question
> > within the Linux kernel as well as any usage in otherwise closed
> > source of any code being either origin or derivation of the
> > files we're talking about.  Well, that is, to the best of my
> > legally-uneducated understanding.
> >
> > Perhaps we should clear this with RMS anyway.  I'm interested in
> > a comment from Drepper.
>
> I don't know what you expect.  The wording is clear: you would have to
> assign the code to the FSF which enables us to change the copyright
> line in the files.  But of course you can keep your own copy of the
> files with your copyright since the transfer is non-exclusive.

No, AFAIK Axis can't both keep the copyright on one copy and
give it away on another copy.  However, clause (d) gives Axis
Communications the right to do whatever it likes with local
copies.  The corresponding copy in the Linux kernel should have
its copyright line tweaked.

Anyway, I think we agree on the practical consequences.  I'll
arrange to send in memcpy.c and memset.c with copyright properly
assigned.

brgds, H-P