Re: CRIS port 1/8: Prerequisite patch for configure.in

Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote on 08/04/01 10:01 PM:

>> From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
>> Date: 08 Apr 2001 19:31:22 -0700
>
>> Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com> writes:
>>
>>> While speaking on copyright assignment, I should mention that there are
>>> two files which I believe Axis would like to retain copyright on; an
>>> optimized memset.c and memcpy.c.
>>
>> This isn't possible.  The files cannot be added.
>
> Bother.  Why isn't it possible?  Several other files in glibc
> have copyright other than FSF.
>
> Now, I'm not necessarily opposed to Axis submitting copyright to
> FSF for those files, but I think I need a reason to show people
> who'll question that change, considering they're already "free".

FSF requires this (submitting copyright to FSF), to ensure that it has
the freedom to open them to the world, without the possibility of a
lawsuit down the road. It took some time for IBM legal to accept this,
too, but accept it they did. It really is the safest policy for the FSF
to take.

--
Mark S. Brown                                             bmark@us.ibm.com
Senior Technical Staff Member                    512.838.3926  T/L678.3926