Re: Problematic linking between glibc and shared libgcc

    Alexandre> On Feb 20, 2001, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
    Alexandre> wrote:

    >> The argument for -rpath are that it makes things easier for
    >> users if you *don't* move stuff; the argument it against is
    >> that it makes things harder if you do.

    Alexandre> This is not true.  If you do move stuff, you may have
    Alexandre> to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the moved libraries are
    Alexandre> still found, but that's all.

I guess it depends on the search order on various systems, but I think
you're right.  Thank you for clarifying.

    Alexandre> The second case is always temporary.  I don't think
    Alexandre> it's enough of a reason to have programs not finding
    Alexandre> their libraries by default.

I'm agnostic on this point -- all I was trying to say in my earlier
mail is that it's a debate that's been had before.  We can certainly
have it again...