Re: Problematic linking between glibc and shared libgcc

ebiederm@xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman) writes:

> You as the system administrator should know that by not putting
> libgcc_s.so in /lib that you are deliberately installing a half broken
> gcc.  And for your uses it probably isn't a problem.

And note, it's not libgcc_s.so.  This DSO is versioned, via file names
or internally.  Every time it changes on any supported platform the
version number must be changed (unless you keep track of the version
numbers for each platform individually which is a maintainer's
nightmare).  This means you /lib directory (or whatever) will be
filled up with different libgcc versions.  I've said all this before
and the solution gcc people came up with is ignoring the problem.