Re: Linux vs. libio

> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:24:19 -0500 (EST)
> From: Kevin Atkinson <kevinatk@home.com>

> Will that extra level of indirection *really* make a diffrence in speed I
> mean IO is something which is fairly slow in the first place.

On my machine, I/O from gas and gcc is compute bound.  I expect it's
the same on most systems.  Modern caching techniques are pretty good,
and there aren't really many programs which have a working set of more
than 100Mb while compiling (and then it's usually because GCC is being
a glutton, not because of the size of the sources and objects).

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>