Re: [han.holl@pobox.com] libc/1172: rresvport should avoid well known ports

On Fri, Jun 25, Han Holl wrote:

> > Thorsten> Stupid. 512-1023 are used on all Unix for dynamically
> > Thorsten> assigned privileged ports.  If IANA uses them all for fixed
> > Thorsten> programs, what should we do with RPC ?  This means, it is
> > Thorsten> impossible to set up a "secure" NIS server or to make
> > Thorsten> "secure" queries, means queries from a port less 1023.
> >
> > I agree.  That's the problem - so what can we do?  I wouldn't call
> > myself a network expert and therefore count on your opinions.
> >

> Thorsten,
>
> Is there anything very wrong with my earlier suggestion to use
> getservbyport() ?
>
> A system administrator could decide to edit in/out the ports (s)he
> wants reserved for well known daemons/ free for dynamic assignment.
>
> Am I missing something here ?

Yes. For example as Systemvedor like Sun or as Linux Distributor you
should add all reserved numbers to /etc/services. What happens if
nearly all numbers are assigned in this range ? The system couldn't
boot, you couldn't make queries from a reserved port, ...
Your system is unuseable.

Before I make a final solution for this, I will look at other
systems how they have solved the problem.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk      http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg