Fwd: locales and arch-indep

The problem that started this is that a set of locales made using the
install-locales target on a sparc system did not work on i386 systems.

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:17:47 -0400
From: Ben Collins <collinbm@djj.state.va.us>
To: espy@debian.org
Subject: locales and arch-indep

Hey, I did some checking between the locales-2.1.1-5.1 and -2.1.1-6 packages.
It seems there is some sort of endianess or byte ordering going on. Here is
a small snippet of output from `cmp -l file-5.1 file-6` (note that I was
running 2.1.1-5 when I compiled this):

      2  27   6
      3   6  27
      5  66   0
      8   0  66
      9 340   0
     13 344   0
     17 350   0
     21 354   0
     25 360   0
     29 364   0

There should be enough here so you can see the alternating bytes between the
two files. Perhaps locales needs to be arch-dep after all (and out of
/usr/share for that matter).

HTH,
   Ben

--- end forwarded text
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>