Re: upgrading from 2.0.95 -> 2.0.97

Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net> said:
> When I upgraded from 2.0.95 to 2.0.97, I figured at most I would have to
> compile libstdc++ again one more time, and relink my C++ applications, but
> it seems all my glibc linked apps need to be recompiled, they're all
> broken in some form or another.

Strange... I'm running a system that used to be RedHat-5.0 (they'd probably
just barely recognize it ;-), i.e. originally some glibc-2.0.6, with
various glibc snapshots (from 2.0.92 on, IIRC).  The only serious trouble I
had was with ncurses: Old binaries linked against (shared) ncurses worked
OK, new binaries linked against it just crashed on start. Recompiling
ncurses cures that one across the board.  Now (at least with 2.0.96,
haven't checked with 2.0.97) I have another strange problem I haven't got
time to look after: rpm complains it can't find users or groups. As the db
version changed too, it's difficult to build an instrumented binary...

BTW, I've been using egcs snapshots (egcs-1.1 lately, snapshots have been
toxic) and binutils snapshots (2.9.1.0.14 right now).

> I'm guessing this is a new mailing list, I just found out about it from
> the glibc-linux list, and the mailing list archive for libc-alpha didn't
> turn up with a websearch yet. !

Not new, just a well-kept secret ;-)
--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616