Re: glibc-2.0.95 causes ls -al & ps -aux to segfault.

   From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de>
   Date: 05 Aug 1998 15:09:11 +0200

   I just did [1] a complete compilation of the current glibc 2.1 sources
   (which has the tzset patch and some other patches in it [2]).  I was
   surprised [3] to get not a single failure during `make check'.

   So, I'm clueless where your problems is.  If you know what's wrong,
   please tell me.  It might be a problem of some i686 specific code that
   you're running[4].  I'm running Linux 2.1.113 on i486 with 48MB.

   Andreas

   Footnotes:
   [1]  In general I'm using egcs snapshots.

   [2]  Including some linuxthreads patches which are not tested very well.

   [3]  That's the same results as I get from egcs but it remember that
	gcc was worse at some time.

   [4]  glibc 2.0.95 optimizes for i686 - and perhaps gcc/egcs has also
	some special treatment.

I always use gcc 2.8.1 and the current CVS snapshot passes all the
tests with me too.  That's on Linux 2.1.108 on i586 with 32MB.

Mark

PS There seem to be some problems with the LinuxThreads patches.  A
   threaded perl 5.005.01 hangs on one of its tests (lib/io_sock.t).
   I'll try to look into it when I have the time.  But if someone with
   more LinuxThreads knowledge wants to take a look at it ...