dup (was: Re: glibc 2.0.94, Linux, chown/lchown and non-i386) , architectures

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Geoff Keating wrote:

> It's not impossible to run that glibc with early kernels, it's just
> that chown() returns ENOSYS.
>
> I claim that this is correct behaviour; chown() is really not
> supported on those kernels.
>
> I know this is bad.  I will probably end up using a user-space
> emulation of chown() (which is also bad, but in a different and far
> more interesting way).  Then libc will behave the same on all kernel
> versions.

geoff,

i have been having trouble with duping in 2.0.94 (powerpc-linux). the best
test i can think of is agetty (in util-linux, add -fsigned-char
-DDEBUGGING). it dies shortly after trying to dup. also (i think) this is
why dpkg-deb fails on newer kernels, after trying to use a bad file
pointer. have you (or anybody) had any trouble like this?

matt.