Re: irc

On 09/18/2015 03:41 PM, David Pirotte wrote:
so, i want to try kawa, with some help I should, if i'm not mistaken, 'import' any
java, any jar, and play the same way, I mean in better ways even, then what i can do
using clojure, is this reasonable assumption?

I've been told that Kawa has better Java integration than Clojure.
Kawa makes it easy to extend Java classes, use annotations, parameterized types (to an extent).
If you define-simple-class you get a very straight-forward mapping to a Java class.
The colon syntax OBJ:PROPERTY first looks for a field PROPERTY in OBJ; and then
it automatically look for a getPROPERTY method.  Etc etc.

A big potential advantage is that with Kawa you just need the kawa.jar.  You don't
need to install and learn a new tool philosopy (i.e. leiningen) - which causes extra
startup slow-down.  Kawa starts up really fast.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lisp/comments/2df2rm/should_my_startup_attempt_to_use_abcl_in_a/

BTW I do recommend building Kawa from Subversion; the "released" jar is a bit old.
I'd like to make a new official release, but I'm in the middle of various changes.