Re: r7rs define-library support checked in

On 10/14/2014 08:53 PM, Jamison Hope wrote:
Congratulations!  How exciting.  What is the plan for libraries and
modules?

A define-library will just be another way to write a module - a little like
a module is another way to write a class.  If you use define-library
or a traditional module, they'll compile into the same kind of class,
and you can be access either using either require or import.  The
main difference is syntax; that you can have multiple define-library
in a single source file; and that define-library won't have all
the Kawa defined bindings - you'll have to explicitly import things,
at least (import (scheme base)).

Are they going to coexist?

Yes.

Are modules going to be deprecated in favor of r7rs libraries?

No.  I like the module == source file identity as a nicer way to work,
and you don't have to wrap everything inside a define-library forms.

We'll probably do some tweaks.  For example I think we'll want to
deprecate require in favor of import, which is more general.
Likewise, might as well use export rather than module-exports.

Something else?  [Wondering whether I'll
soon need to scramble to change a bunch of module-using code to r7rs
library equivalents.]

Not if you don't want to.

I see you also bumped the version number all the way from 1.14 to 1.90.

I think we're at the beta stage for 2.0, or as soon as I've made an actual
release of 1.90.