Re: Switching from Subversion to Git

I'm certainly open to switching from Subversion to Git or Mercurial,
if that would make a difference.  (The main hesitation is deciding
between Git or Mercurial ... I have experience with Mercurial, and most
people agree it is a little simpler and cleaner; however, Git is much
more popular.)

However, it's been suggested that the advantage in switching to Git
is relatively minor unless we also switch to an integrated hosting site,
specifically GitHub.  That is somewhat problematical because GitHub's
use of closed source.  Note this is not only the case for "enterprise
add-one" functionality - even the Windows github client (which is the
recommended way to work with github on Windows) is closed-source.

There are alternatives.  For example GitLab Community Edition.  But the
hosting on gitlab.com runs the Enterprise Edition, plus repositories
have a "soft limit" (whatever that means) of 1GB.

We can of course move to git on Savannah, but it's not as featureful as GitHub.

Or a volunteer could upgrade Savannah to GitLab community edition ...