Re: Kawa's Future

Hello,

On 6 May 2014 18:14, anon <akemerofako@hotmail.de> wrote:
> I have been tipping my toes into Kawa recently and I was wondering why in
> the world is it not at least as popular as clojure? Any thoughts?

There is no definite answer as to why that happened, but whatever the
reasons, they're mostly non-technical AFAICT. Clojure was marketed
very cleverly, and had the advantage of serendipitous timing. At a
time when everyone was throffing at the mouth about issues of
multi-core programming, along came Clojure with its "silver bullet".
Of course, that's not the case; but it is indicative of the excitement
Clojure generated.

To expand on the timing matter, I believe Kawa was one of the first
non-Java languages which targeted the JVM (please correct me if I'm
wrong about this). The project got its start in the mid nineties. This
was not a time of mass enlightenment with respect to virtual machines
(I'm not claiming VMs are silver bullets either, I am claiming that
more people care about them now than they did in the mid nineties). In
my opinion, Kawa came a bit before its time, and as with many other
projects sharing this fate, it has not achieved the recognition is
deserves.