Re: proposed support for lazy values

On 06/06/2011 15:28, Jamison Hope wrote:

I would argue that the print at line 4 should say something like "#<promise - force threw a java.lang.Exception>" instead. How about the attached update to your patch?
<Warning: off-topic>

Certainly a better error message, but I have a concern. Back when I was fixing up some error messages, I noticed an aweful lot of ad-hoc errors being directly written to an output buffer, just like this patch. It seems to me that all errors should be encapsulated by a common error class. This would mean the messages would be consistent and less confusing. It would also be easier to extend such error classes to things like the Swing REPL or WebSocket REPL's, etc to do more interesting formatting. It's going to be a chore going through and abstracting such messages, but I think it would be worthwhile.

Charles.