Re: Google Summer Of Code

On 03/29/2011 09:40 AM, Simon wrote:
Hi there,
I am a second year computer science student at the University of St.
Andrews. I am hoping to do a project for the Google Summer of Code. I am
very interested in working on a part of the GNU project, and Kawa seems
like an interesting technology to work on.

I think so - and hope you will enjoy working on Kawa!

The project ideas at
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Ideas-and-tasks.html give little
indication of how much work would be involved, and there are quite a
number of them, so I was wondering if you could recommend which sections
have the highest priority and possibly a combination of tasks which you
feel would be achievable for the duration of the project.

A reasonable request. I will attempt to flesh the projects out ASAP with both importance and perceived difficulty. Of course how difficult a project is is very individual and depends on your background.

For example, "Full continuations" is highly desirable for some applications
- and if nothing else as a "check-off item" for Kawa to qualify as "full
Scheme". I think it can be done in a Summer, though will involve some studying
of the research, especially if you're not very familiar with continuations
or continuation-passing-style. Familiarity with Haskell and functional
programming should help, though.

Parameterized types is also high desirable, but it is best to have
some familiarity with type inference and type checking theory.

Some of the projects, such as the Common Lisp support, are open-ended:
You dig in, and you get done as much as you have time for.

I have skills in Java, Python, C, Haskell, HTML, JavaScript and some in
CLISP. I am happy to learn Scheme if you feel it is necessary for the
project.

For most of the project it will help to have some Scheme familiarity, but most you won't need very much.

Anyway, I'll try to add more information in the next few days.