Re: Contributing to Kawa under Google Summer of Code 2011

On 03/19/2011 03:08 PM, Yakov Dan wrote:
Hello,
My name is Yakov and I'm a second-year computer engineering major in
Tel-Aviv university.
As you've probably guessed, I would like to participate in the Kawa project.

Welcome and good luck with your application!

What would be the next step?

The next step is to write and send in your application.

If you've decided that working on Kawa is your first choice,
you have the option of getting your feet wet early.  It is plausible
that your application might be strengthened by being able to say
you've already contributed some small improvements, but I can't
confirm that.

For example, if you're interested in Common Lisp, you could start by
adding one or two missing functions, like some of the array/sequence
or symbol/package function.  There are also some missing format specifiers;
that helps both Scheme and Common Lisp.

Note this doesn't commit you to working on Common Lisp - regardless,
it's a good start for learning how the code-base works.

More challenging is to add some missing syntax, but we can get into
that later. (I think the first priority is adding Common Lisp-style
type specifiers, at least a few simple cases, including Java class names,
since that makes it easier to implement Common Lisp functions using Common Lisp.)
per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/