File objects, path object, filepath objects, strings

There are:
1) Java File objects,
2) Kawa filepath objects, which are said to be wrappers around Java File objects
3) Kawa path objects, which are... ?
4) strings which can be paths.

When should I use each type?  What is the purpose of filepath and path
objects?  It appears that the path objects are accepted by Java when a
java.io.File is called for, which is very handy.  It appears that
functions that take filepath and path objects generally take strings,
too..  Is this true?

Also, does anyone have anything to say about my last posting, found
here: http://www.nabble.com/path-file-not-working-properly--to16888484.html
 ?

Thanks!
-Ethan