problem(?) using java.lang.Float in arithmetic operation

Hi,

I'm exploring using Kawa as a scripting system for a
java math package.
So far things are looking quite promising.

One question -
I'm extracting a single float from a java float[]
array returned
from said library.  It appears that when such a float
is passed to "-", i.e.:

   (set! arr (java-library-returns-float))
   (set! x (arr 0))
   (set! y (- x))

there is a type error -
procedure main throws exception
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Float
Invalid parameter, was: java.lang.Float

Is there a function to convert a java.lang.Float to a
scheme real?
If not, I could redefine all the basic arithmetic
operations
as calls to java.  Is this the appropriate approach?

Thanks for any advice

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?