Re: Change in printing of Scheme values

Jim White wrote:
I can see the convenience in using this feature, but I think the
compatibility issues mean that it should have a switch to control it.

I think it should be controlled by the (relatively new) --pedantic switch, though finer-grained control may also make sense.

The complication is that pedantic for now sets a switch on the Language
object. which is used at compile-time, but we want to control run-time
behavior.  One solution is have --pedantic switch the bindings of the
functions display and write, in essence "inlining" display (say) as
either display-pedantic or display-kawa, depending on the --pedantic
switch.

In any case, we probably do want a mechanism for -pedantic to control
run-time behavior in some way.  I'll try to implement a solution soon,
and at least before 1.9 is released.  In the meanwhile, please try out
the change and let me know how it works.