Re: Kawa (re-)licensing

Chris Dean wrote:

Bruce Lewis <brlewis@ALUM.MIT.EDU> writes:

I'm not sure I understand this.  Could you give a fictitious example of a
company that would want to negotiate a commercial license because of the
current license, but wouldn't want to negotiate a commercial license if
it were LGPLed?

If the company wanted to make changes to Kawa, then in the current license that new code would be under GPL. If the company didn't want to use a GPL license they could negotiate with Per for a private license.

If Kawa were under the LGPL, then the company could (under one
interpretation) just publish its changes to Kawa and not pay Per for a
private license.

The real question is whether there are companies that buy commercial licenses to keep their modifications to Kawa secret. I think that is rather rare. It is the case that there are companies that don't want to be burdened with having to keep track of whether they are complying with (L)GPL and so like to simply buy source licenses.

I see no reason to encourage such laziness. Complying with LGPL is (nearly) trivial. If they wanna pay money to Per to ensure their changes are duly published (in a seperate branch if necessary in the worst case) that is their option.

I suspect that most of Per's customers have actually contracted for customization work and not just a commercial license for Kawa. In this case LGPL is also not a problem since the work just gets segregated into Kawa changes and proprietary stuff that belongs to the company. That is a very common business model for OSS developers.

Jim White