Re: compiling macros to class yields foo.<init>(foo.scm) error when loading

Hi,

I wrote:
>I haven't yet managed to turn the .scm file
>into .class files.
Comparing my file with BRL's sqlfun.scm which Bruce managed to turn into a .class file for brl.jar, I saw that I use
>(require <gnu.brl.stringfun>)
>(require <gnu.brl.sqlfun>)
If I omit these, the file loads.

My past experience with file compilation was that (require ...) statements were required to get my code (interfacing to Java classes) to compile. Now here's just the opposite case: here (only standard kawa/Scheme code) I must *not* use require.

I would appreciate if knowledgeable people could elaborate on this issue of require. I recognize that I already had trouble in the past with it (cf. mailing list).

When does one need require? I tend to write code like this:
(require <java.sql.Blob>)
(define (export-certs)
  (sql-repeat st (id blob :: <java.sql.Blob>)
or
(require <java.util.Random>)
(define random-gen-misc :: <java.util.Random>

Thanks for your help,
	Jorg Hohle.