Re: Problems building Kawa with gcj

Will Newton wrote:
I'm having problems building Kawa on Debian (unstable) using gcj.

Configuring as per the docs:

./configure --with-gcj --without-awt --without-swing --prefix=/usr

And compiling, the build fails because the option -DPIC is used for gcj and there is no --main option [1]. So I tried to disable PIC to see where that get's me. Configuring thus:

Now I get as far as building the kawa1 binary, where I get a load of unresolved symbols [2].

While static linking isn't supported (because Class.forName will fail to find classes it needs), I'm suprised it fails this early.

Maybe this is some kind of libtool issue?

Yes, this is a libtool bug. The libtool files in Kawa were somewhat hacked up, I recall, using a newer unreleased version. Perhaps a released version of libtool will work now, but I haven't tried recently. In any case, the files distributed with Kawa should work. -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/