Re: CVS version needed.

Per Bothner wrote:
Marco Vezzoli wrote:

Is it possible/useful to create a nightly build site? Maybe redhat or
apache can host it.
Well, RedHat *could* host it, but it would make more sense
I think to upload snapshots more frequently to the Kawa ftp site.
These could be named kawa-YYMMDD.tar.gz.

But it still means some testing and work.
I could easily script and run some regular snapshots, of course I can only post them to my own site.

One thing I'ld like to see would be to change the way the version is specified in CVS so that a snapshot label is what is in version control. That way when Per builds an official release, you make that one change locally.

Perhaps the thing to do would be to go with even/odd revision numbers (CVS has an even number. Per uses the next odd number on release, tags CVS with it, then bumps the version label in CVS to the next even number.)

Is there any other testing/work to do? An automated snapshot build is only going to run the checks in testsuite. It seems like users would be willing to risk that on account of we've seen a number of occasions where they encountered bugs in the release version that are already fixed in CVS.

Jim