pregexp: POSIX classes error

Has anyone got POSIX classes in the pregexp package to work correctly
under Kawa? More specifically, I compiled and ran pregexp-test.scm and got
a pregexp error on the following test case: -

(pregexp-match "[[:alpha:]_]" "--x--")
Error: pregexp-check-if-in-char-class?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'm using kawa 1.6.99 with
pregexp 1.6e.

=====
Khairul Azhar