Re: Very late error reports under Windows

Jocelyn Paine <popx@pop3.ifs.org.uk> writes:

> Using Kawa under Windows NT 4, there seems to be a problem in reporting
> errors from the top-level. Here's an example, which I ran
> just by doing java kawa.repl -w . I use an undefined symbol
> ++, and the error message relating to it doesn't appear even after the
> next correct expression is evaluated in prompt 4. In fact, it
> seems to require to be forced out by a second error:

One possible work-around is to add a:
        perr.flush();
after the e.printStackTrace(perr) command in Shell.java.

But the real bug seems to be that "autoflush" isn't working
as it should.  It would be nice to track that down.  Perhaps
printStackTrace doesn't call print/println, just write, and
so autoflush is by-passed.  Or the implementation of print/println
in PrintWriter doesn't flush correctly.

I.e. rather than patch Shell, it would be nice if we can fix
the problem so it works more generally.