Calling java methods from kawa

I'm trying to use some java classes from within kawa, but I'm running into
some puzzling problems.

Something like (invoke-static <foo> 'test) will throw an error about not
being able to find the foo class with kawa 1.6.66. With the latest from CVS,
the error is about not finding the method 'test'. My classpath includes the
dirctory foo.class is in (Which also happens to be my cwd when testing
this), in both the CLASSPATH environment variable and via the classpath
argument to java. I've also tried putting foo.class into a jar file that's
added to the classpath, with no luck. A quick java program that uses
foo.class works fine.

Oddly enough, classes in the standard Java library work fine - it's just my
own that aren't. Any ideas?

Using the Java 1.3 JDK for Linux from IBM, fwiw.

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw@speakeasy.org