Re: kawa question [forwarded]

One more idea to consider:  Create your own sub-class of Environment.
Manage your special bindings there, and defer other bindings to the
super-class.  For an example, look at kawa.standard.ScmEnv.

But be warned that I feel relatively free to make changes in the
Java implementation classes (sometimes with notice), so be prepared
to change your code.  (I.e. once yu have something working, be
careful about upading to a new version of Kawa, unless you budget
time to fix things.)

That is one reason it is better to do as much as possible in Scheme;
the compiler and run-time system automatically do a lot of things
for you.  If Kawa doesn't have the right features, this is the
place to propose an extension.  For example, we might add functions
to directly manipulate environments.  environment-bound? is just a
start.  We can implement some more of the environment functions of
MIT Scheme.  See
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/scheme/documentation/scheme_14.html
I don't really understand you application, but if you can solve your
problem using some of these functions, it is probably easy to add them.