Re: Even better (was: Re: tracing cosmetics)

"Walter C. Pelissero" <wcp@demon.db.de> writes:

> With this patch the printout is more clear in case of exception.

I agree.  I added it to my working copy.  Thanks.

> I'm thinking about giving the option to trace the time of each call.
> Could it be worth?

It certainly could be useful, as a very crude profiling tool,
assuming the time can be captured sufficiently accurately.

You could also accumulate total time spent in a traced procedure,
and then print the total at the end.

> Another hint.  What about mentioning the thread where each procedure
> call belongs to?  Unfortunately I'm out of clues about this topic.

You could remember which thread was active the previous time trace
output was emitted (using a static Thread field in TracedPorcedure),
and if it changed, write out something like:

        (Following trace output from thread: XXX)

Of course if you want to do that, then you should also add some
locking so each trace output line does not get mixed with any other.
--
	--Per Bothner
bothner@pacbell.net  per@bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/~per/