Re: Kawa update: continuations; compilation

> So if I understand this correctly the kawa interpreter itself is running
> native code, but the scheme code is translated into java bytecode and
> executed in the java run-time vm?

Not yet.  The Kawa interpreter and compiler is running as native code.
Scheme code can be compiled to bytecodes, compiled to native code
offline using gcj, and then linked to form an application written
in Scheme running as native code.

Note I haven't tested the last part yet, but it "should" work.
After we release the gcj runtime (it 's a matter of weeks now),
I'll try to get it working, and write a cookbook.

> I thought you didn't have dynamic loading working yet in the Gcj run-time?

Correct.

> What would be really interesting would be getting the generated java
> bytecode pushed through gcj as well, so that the scheme code itself was
> executed as native code.

Exactly.  I haven't tried it, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner