Re: CLOS

> I'd like to know if there are any existing projects to compile CLOS to the
> Java VM, much in the same way as Kawa compiles Scheme to Java?

Not that I'm aware of.

> After your experience
> with Kawa, do you see any impossibilities of compiling CLOS to Java?

I'm sure it is possible.  The question is how difficult would it be.
Since Clos is much more dynamic than the Java class model, it may be
difficult to represent a Clos class using a Java class.  Can you
represent a Clos slot using a Java field?  Obviously Clos method
invocation cannot using Java method invocation directly; instead
you must invoke a helper routine to find the correct method.

> Do you think it possible to base such a compiler on the Kawa code?

I think that would make a lot of sense, but I don't know how
much extension Kawa would need.  I haven't thought much about it,
and I don't know Clos except very superficially.
Which I do intend to improve the object-oriented features of
Kawa, it proably won't be very Clos-like, at least not the
primary class system.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner