Re: ECMAScript

> I've got a complete implementation of ECMAScript along with
> some JavaScript extensions (access to Java objects, regex, etc.)
> and some other extensions (exceptions, a primitive Tcl-Expect-like
> package, etc.) which I intend to release to the public. I also have about
> 1500 tests scripts.

This certainly sounds extremely useful!

> My implementation permits run-time use of either ANTLR or JavaCC
> as the parser.

I think I will want to keep my hard-written top-down parser.
I suspect it is faster and smaller, and it is quite easy to
write, debug, and understand.  Now that the basic structure works,
it is is trivial to finish the parsing side of the task.

Similarly, I want to keep the structure of representing a program
using Expression nodes, because that ties in with the Kawa
evaluation and compilation framework.

However, the representation of ECMAScript objects, and the
builtin classes and functions, are where your stuff could save
me a lot of work.

And of course I definitely want your test scripts!

> It was my intent to release as completely public domain except that
>     1) I/Fujitsu remain the sole source for the official releases (I don't
>	want multiple incompatible versions around), and

See below.

>    2) anyone who develops either a compiler to Java byte code and/or
>	a debugger must release the software for incorporation into
>	the official releases without restrictions.

Well, this will have a compiler to Java byte code.  My plan for a
debugger involves gdb extensions to support Java and Java bytecodes.
(Cygnus is doing this work as part of our Java implementation
plans.  See http://www.cygnus.com/product/javalang/.)
Once Gdb supports Java, we can add extra "languages" to support
Kawa-based Scheme and ECMAScript.

> A compiler and debugger are so usful that I want to make sure that
> they are apart of the general release.

"apart" or "a part"?

> I don't know if there is a Gnu-compatible copyleft that covers the
> above wishes - it would be ok for folks to incorporate my interpreter into
> a product but good ideas should be added to the interpreter.

How you taken a look at the copyright on gnu.ecmascript?  (It is the
same as that on gnu.bytecode and gnu.math.)  It basically gives
people a choice of either:
a) Follow the strict GPL.
b) Use an unmodified santioned release.

The GPL prevents people using the code in a product, unless the
entire application is free software.  This discourages commercial
modifications, unless the modifications are submitted *and*
accepted into the master version.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner