RE: Is the project still alive ?

Roland Schwingel wrote:

> I am using insight daily on windows (with tcl/tk 8.6 and still
itcl/itk 3.3) in a mingw-build (so native GUI). It runs quite well.

I'm sure it does. But I have to stick to Fedora policies that states
bundles are not aceptable in the distribution, therefore the stock
itcl/itk (4.0) must then be used.

> I am very sad about the stall of insight. I would find a big
disadvantage if it would go away completely.

Totally agreed. But we are dependent of the insight "core team" (?)
that, IMHO mainly consists in Keith (as an auxiliary job), with the help
of some contributions like yours and mine.

I have to say I don't have enough time and skills to maintain insight
seriously: I've spent several days in the last month to try to make it
work with the F21 constraints... without success. Bugs might be in
itcl/itk, but debugging this stuff is really a pain in the ass :-(

> I hope a solution can be found for this.

Me too, of course !
On a practical standpoint, the Fedora pressure for an update is so high
I wouldn't stand it long: the solution (un-stall of the project) should
be quick now.

> If the official end of the project would be announced the interfaces
in gdb itself to allow insight to connect to gdb would be removed quite
soon - I believe. Making it impossible for people like me to build
insight against current gdb sources.

A stalled project is a dead project!... even if not official :-(

> Insight must not die!

Again, 100% OK with you. Nevertheless, this is not in my hands (and if
it were, I'll be much puzzled).

If some developer wants to investigate, I can give some info about what
I already found.

I'll monitor this list and the CVS/git repositories the next 2 weeks: if
nothing constructive happens, I'll resign and EOL the Fedora package :-(

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,
Patrick