Re: Build for mingw32 and i686 on x86_64 observations

On 03/22/2010 07:47 PM, Gene Smith wrote:
First off, I want to point out that I can build the very recent cvs head
for an embedded arm application but it doesn't run correctly in that the
insight gui does not reflect the actual location of the PC while
debugging/stepping (the green highlighted line never moves). This is
regarless of whether the tk/tcl is system supplied or insight's own.

What target did you build for? Your configure options only list --build and --host.

Also, what target are you trying to debug under? The problem you describe is typically a bug in the target back-end. It would not surprise me to find out that something changed in gdb-land that broke insight. This happens more often than I would like, but since I only use insight natively, unless I can reproduce on a simulator, my bug-solving is limited to what I can divine by reading the code.

But when build with i686-pc-mingw32-gcc toolchain (fedora 12 yum), the
same (windows specific) kludges as before were required (syntax errors
in window specific tck/tk code regarding dde and registry that can be
commented out).

That doesn't surprise me. Our tcl/tk are greatly out of date, and I do not have general access to a windows machine. I've never tried building a cross from linux, though...

However, with mingw32 I had to build/install then build/install again to
get insight.exe to appear at install/bin. It seems that in the install
directory under lib there needs to exist *at compile time* tkConfig.sh
and tclConfig.sh. So you have to make clean all, make install, then make
clean all, make install again when you are starting with an empty
install directory. So if you keep install/lib/tclConfig.sh and
tkConfig.sh between compiles (don't completely clean the install dir)
you are ok the next time.

Configure will look for t{cl,k}Config.sh in the install directory and several other places. Wherever it finds those files, the location will be hard-coded into configure's cache (if what I am deducing from my vague recollection of how this all works is accurate). Your description makes sense. That is simply a quirk of how configure works.

Next time, try erasing the gdb directory and forcing a reconfigure.