Re: 20090609-cvs bad on linux (build fail cygwin)

Gene Smith wrote:
> Going back to windows/cygwin I was able to build 6.8 and run insight 6.8
OK (pure cygwin, no mingw). Then I tried 6.8 on msys shell and it stops pretty quick due to and error about MAKEINFO being missing or wrong version. So I tried again under cygwin with -mno-cygwin and finally got it make/install and run OK. Here is how I built it under cygwin as a mingw32 executable:

insight_make
    insight_sources
        unpacked insight-6.8 tarball
    insight_build (directory)
    makeInsight.sh

makeInsight.sh (run from insight_make)looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
export TARGET=arm-none-eabi
export PREFIX=/cygdrive/c/Progra~1/Raisonance/Ride/arm-gcc
export PATH=$PATH:$PREFIX/bin
export PATH=$PATH:$PREFIX/$TARGET

#cd insight_build && rm -rf *
#../insight_sources/configure -v --quiet --prefix=$PREFIX \
#   --target=$TARGET --enable-interwork --enable-multilib \
#   --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as
#make all
cd insight_build
../insight_sources/configure -v --quiet --prefix=$PREFIX \
   --target=$TARGET --enable-interwork --enable-multilib \
   --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as \
   --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin \
   CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" AR="ar"
make
make install
<eof>

I tried this again on cygwin using your CVS head code. For some reason it could not find a header file in insight_sources/tk/win when making libgui module. The search path in libgui/src/Makefile only pointed into tk/unix. So I manually changed the TK_INCLUDES macro in Makefile to include the win path:

TK_INCLUDES = -I/cygdrive/c/insight_make/insight_sources/tk/generic \ -I/cygdrive/c/insight_make/insight_sources/tk/win \ <--new
-I/cygdrive/c/insight_make/insight_sources/tk/unix

I don't know how configure sets this up. Maybe it doesn't realize this is a "win" build and should use the win includes instead of (or before) unix...??

Also, and this is not specifc to cvs HEAD, I frequently see this corruption in the generated Makefiles (looking with vim):

program_transform_name = s,^,arm-none-eabi^M-

I think maybe sed is doing this putting an extraneous newline or end of line character in when it is inserting a dash character. Maybe the cygwin sed is assumes dos style line endings, cr/lf ???. If I remove the ^M and and make or make install again it is OK.

In this case the offending files were Makefiles under insight_build/sim/. Also, several Makefiles under insight_build/gdb had this problem. It detected the error during "make install" phase. All the Makesfiles that had to be modifed were unix according to vim.

I don't see this ^M problem building the same files with linux.

Ok, after fixing the ^M errors it installs OK and run as a windows "MZ" exe. But it has the exact same problem I saw on linux: no functionality in the main code frame display area. But the buttons at the top work OK.

I can still control gdb witht eh Console Window. Stopped at a bp I see this, as you asked about:

(gdb) tk gdb_target_has_execution
1

However, don't know what you mean by this:

"Try opening the debug window or enable logging (see the README). That might provide some "insight" into what may be going wrong."

FWIW, the register window seems to work but don't see a "debug" window. Also, nothing in the top level README about logging. Is this a configure option? (To reconfigure and build on my system also takes forever. :))

Also, you say:
"I have been using 20090605-cvs in my daily work (on F10 -- using *system* [my emphasis] Tcl, Tk, etc), and I have not noticed your problems. Are you using the supplied versions of Tcl or the system versions? [i.e., Are src/tcl, src/tk, and src/itcl in your source tree?]"

When you say using "system" Tcl/Tk etc, do you mean the tcl/tk etc not included with insight? On windows, as far as I know, insight provides the only tcl, tk. How do you control which is used by insight? (On my linux there is an installed system tcl, tk in /usr somewhere.)

-gene