Re: Can't debug x86_64 C++ programs.

John Fine wrote:

I can't think of a decent method to make a more concise display of function name (maybe you can). But failing that, I think you need an option to drop it entirely. Or is there such an option already that I just haven't found? I'm not very good at using gdb. function name + offset was never such valuable information that we really needed it and when it is too bulky to use, it should go away.

Perhaps then name could be truncate to, say, N leading characters, "...", and M trailing characters, but I think you are right: we need to offer the option to drop it entirely. I don't know if gdb will let us do that, but I can certainly give it a go.

For Insight's SRC+ASM view, I think putting the source line number on each line in both panels would help a lot (again if that option is already there, I'm not expert). While that is less critical for gdb itself than for a GUI, I think it would be a very useful option in gdb itself (disassemble with the source line number shown on each line of disassembly). Hopefully other GUI's layered on gdb would give the user access to that feature.

I don't really ever use SRC+ASM mode. I usually used MIXED, which intersperses source and assembly. For me, it is much, much easier to read. Or perhaps having the two side-by-side with callouts (like is common in many diffing programs) or some other scheme.