Re: no insight executable built with target=arm-elf (mingw and ubuntu)

Keith Seitz wrote:
Brian Sidebotham wrote:
My prefix line is now:
../src/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=${INSTALLDIR} --with-tclconfig=${BUILDDIR}/tcl/win --with-tkconfig=%{BUILDDIR}/tk/win

the build fails when compiling ${SRCDIR}/gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk.c because it's trying to include <sys/ioctl.h> but mingw doesn't have a sys/ioctl.h include. Excluding this include in the source code fails on the errors - sigaction structure not defined.

Are you using mingw or Cygwin? You cannot build/run Insight or gdb on mingw (at least that was true the last time I looked at it). Officially, mingw is not a supported platform (although I have heard of people making having various degrees of success making it work).

The ${BUILDDIR}/gdb/config.h file has HAVE_SYS_IOCTL_H commented out, but then the gdbtk.c file includes it without checking the define anyway.

I'll fix that.

For fullness, the current files which include sys/ioctl.h without checking are:

/src/gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk.c
/src/gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk_cmds.c
/src/gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk_hooks.c

Let me know if you want me to send a patch for exclusion of <sys/ioctl.h> if it doesn't exist.

I seldom use Windows any more since my box is about eight years old, but I've dusted it off to give it a try. No problems. For linux, make sure you have the x-devel packages installed. On Fedora, that's xorg-X11-proto-devel.

Keith

You should be able to get the mingw compiler setup on your linux box, but if it is an unsupported target I guess it's not a priority.

Dave Murphy forwarded me a patch (thank you very much for that Dave!) and with that I was successful in building a working 6.6 arm-elf-insight.exe under mingw.

Eric, target=avr also built correctly for 6.6 (as does cvs with a few changes to Dave's patch)

Hopefully Dave will be able to make his patches available soon (If you need any help with those Dave, please shout) and cvs will be buildable on mingw out-of-the-box.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Best Regards,

Brian Sidebotham.