RE: mail address in the mailing list archive

On 29 May 2007 09:07, maxpagani@libero.OOPSNEARLYHAPPENEDAGAIN wrote:

> Hello,
>     since a while this email address of mine has started receiving spam.
>     Being always careful not to disclose the address in the wrong places, I
>     did some trivial investigation such as googling for my email address. I
> found that although I used the usual trick (@ -> at) a reply
> (http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2006-q2/msg00066.html) to my message
> (http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2006-q2/msg00065.html) contained my
> syntactically correct email address. I wonder if it is possible for you to
> fix the archive so that my address no longer appears in clear text.

  It's not within my purview to edit the archives, but I should point out that
this is the fault of your own misconfiguration: the person making the reply
had their mailer configured to use your real name rather than your email
address in the reply, but you've gone and set the real name field to an exact
duplicate of your email address in /your/ mailer.  Fix that, and it'll be a
lot less likely to ever happen to you again (and if it does, it then /will/ be
the other person's fault).

    cheers,
      DaveK