Re: Failure building bfd.info

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 01:18:58PM -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
I'm building insight-6.5 (latest, fixed download) on an older
version Cygwin system which does not have makeinfo installed.
The build fails attempting to build bfd.info.

There seem to be several things which are not right.

1) The tarfile includes bfd.info.  There shouldn't be any need
   to rebuild it.  (I even touched bfd.info after untarring
   to insure that make calculated the dependency correctly.)

2) There's a warning message that makeinfo is missing which
   says that this would only be needed if a .texi or .texinfo
   was modified.  None of these files were modified.

Same cause for these. It probably rebuilt (or tried to) the generated files produced by "chew". Try touching those instead.

This is the workaround: touch bfd/doc/archures.texi touch bfd/doc/bfd.info

3) When the make decides that it needs to build bfd.info, it
   cd's to the SOURCE directory, creates a backup directory,
   and moves bfd.info, etc., to the backup directory.  It then
   runs makeinfo, which fails, and it attempts to restore
   from the backup directory.  Which doesn't appear to
   happen.  It then deletes the backup directory and exits
   with an error code.

   Why is this building bfd.info in the SOURCE directory?
   This just seems to be the wrong thing to do.

Automake. There's roughly nothing we can do about this code, I'm afraid. I've tried several times.

Bad automake. Bad! Bad!

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077