RE: Insight on (Intel) Mac

On 17 August 2006 14:59, Thomas Kraus wrote:

> Dave,

    Hi Thomas,

  I notice you mailed me off-list.  Dunno if you meant to or not, but let's
keep it on the list: there are people there who understand Mac issues far
better than I do, and besides if others run into the same problem, it'll be
more help for them if our conversation is recorded in the list archives.

> Thanks for your quick reply. With regards to the "make install"
> I did do that:
>
> 	$ configure --prefix=/usr/local
> 	$ make
> 	$ make install
>
> I can see in /usr/local/lib some of the installed pieces but /usr/
> local/bin
> just looks like:
>
> 	$ ls /usr/local/bin
> 	tclsh8.4        wish8.4
> 	$
>
> I have included my content of /usr/local/ as an attachment

  Right, a quick look through suggests that the build process must have failed
when it recursed into the gdb subdir, and that's why you have no binaries: the
remaining top-level subdirs (bfd, libiberty, tcl, tk) seem to have compiled
ok.  So I think you need to go over your build logs (or if you didn't keep a
log, just cd into the 'gdb' subdir of your build dir and re-run "make all"
there) and see what happens, because there's probably a compiler error there
somewhere.

  Apple/MacOS has a funny relationship with binutils (cf. 'cctools').  Are you
using the Apple version of the gdb sources (if there is one)?

    cheers,
      DaveK