Re: Tcl_Init failed: can't read "env(TCL_LIBRARY)": no such variable

Lai Xuecheng wrote:

After reinstalling my os (redhat 9), the gui version
of insight cannot be used. The following error occurs
when insight is issued: Tcl_Init failed: can't read "env(TCL_LIBRARY)": no
such variable

That usually means that (insight's version of) Tcl is not properly installed. Some quick questions:

- How did you build insight?
- Where is it installed, i.e., --prefix?
- Are tcl/tk/itcl installed in --prefix?
- What does "which tclsh8.4" return?
- What does "which insight" return?
- Can you run it from your build directory?

The above problem applies to both insight 6.1 and 6.2

What about 6.4 or a snapshot (6.5 is around the corner)?

The insight document says

"Name			Description
	TCL_LIBRARY		The location of the Tcl library files

All of the environment variables for controlling
Insight are well documented
in gdb/gdbtk/library/main.tcl. Search for "env" to
find them all",
but I cannot find any occurence of the word
TCL_LIBRARY in the file main.tcl.

Does anyone have any idea about what is happening?

TCL_LIBRARY is actually defined in and used by the Tcl libraries. Can you run just the tcl shell that was installed by your insight installation?