Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built ...

Hermann-Simon Lichte wrote:

I realised that you're trying to build Insight for debugging Mac OS X applications. There are some peculiarities about Mac OS X, e.g., the use of Mach-O object files instead of ELF object files due to Darwin's Mach heritance. Apple keeps modified versions of gcc and gdb at www.opensource.apple.com, and I don't think that these modifications are considered in Insight. I can't think of any other operating system that still uses Mach-O besides Mac OS X.

To clarify, the public FSF repository for gdb (which insight shares) does not contain the code specific to running on MacOS X. I think they've donated/merged their compiler changes, but zippo on the debugger. Don't quote me on that, but I don't remember ever seeing anything on gdb-patches to indicate that Apple is going to merge their OS X work with the public sources.

If you're looking for something to do, though, I'm sure Apple and FSF developers would _love_ to see someone spearhead this effort. Or do as someone else suggested: try to plonk insight on top of Apple's gdb. Probably not trivial, but probably a whole lot easier than merging Apple gdb into FSF gdb. [I'm just guessing here, though.]

I might just be tempted to do something like this myself if I had access to an OS X machine.