Re: [RFC] syntax highlighting

Hi,

Keith Seitz wrote:
Barring that, there is one more hurdle to overcome: copyright. Unlike most of the patches that I see here, this patch definitely is not even remotely trivial. So we need to get you (and your company if involved) to sign an assignment. The problem is, that assignment is to Red Hat, not the FSF, since Insight is officially owned (albeit carelessly) by Red Hat.

Sorry but I do not understand where I've done something that violates the existing copyright.
The file header includes something like this:
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
your option) any later version.

As far as I'm interpreting this, I'm allowed to modify the source e.g. by adding the syntax highlighting stuff to it. The copyright remains as it was before.
If like that other people can use this modification too, I have either to redistribute it myself or I have to ask an existing distributer to do so.
Since Red Hat is the major distributer of Insight it would be great to find it there.
Red Hat itself might have a set of rules which kind of modification they accept and which they will reject.
If so, it would be nice to this available. So we can produce patches that fit.
Maybe Red Hat isn't interested in any kind off patches.
So it would be nice to know this, too.

Again, I haven't understand everything correctly, so it is likely that I've got it wrong.

At the current stage I'm a little bit frustrated.

Regards
  Thomas