Re: Problem with Remote/Serial in Insight

Keith Seitz wrote:
On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 10:23, Bernhard Walle wrote:

I presume you mean "continue", not "run"...

No, I mean "Run Method: (X) Run program". If I choose "Continue from Last Stop", nothing works. I simple want Insight to do the same as GDB if I type "target remote /dev/ttyS14".

Unless gdb has changed substantially since the last time I used a remote
target, one never uses "run" on a remote target. It doesn't make any
sense: there's no process to create. [It's a subtle difference, but
that's what gdb does.]

When you download a program to the target, gdb sets the PC to the start
address. "Continuing" the program will start its execution.

Well, you're right the "process" is still running and it sounds logic. But simply it doesn't work without run, Insight is hanging. Insight should simply do the same as "target remote" does.

It's simply not possible. Because the dialog is opened, this debug window is not accessible and because I cannot close that dialog ...

Set GDBTK_DEBUG to non-zero and GDBTK_DEBUGFILE to a filename in your environment before running. This will save all the debugging information into $GDBTK_DEBUGFILE.

Thanks, output attached.

Regards, Bernhard
I global pref_set_defaults {}
I global pref_set_colors {}
I global pref_load_default {loading default colors}
I global gdbtk_locate_main {}
I global gdbtk_clear_file {}
I global gdbtk_locate_main {}
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I global gdbtk_locate_main {}
I SrcWin point_to_main {could not find main}
I ManagedWin startup {Got active list {ManagedWin::open Console} {ManagedWin::open SrcWin}}
I ManagedWin _open {Console }
I ManagedWin _create {win=console args=}
I EmbeddedWin constructor {}
I Console constructor {}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.console0.console"}
I ManagedWin _open {SrcWin }
I ManagedWin _create {win=srcwin args=}
I GDBWin constructor {}
I TopLevelWin constructor .srcwin0.srcwin
I SrcWin constructor {}
I SrcBar create_plugin_menu {No plugins configured, go remove the PlugIn menu...}
I SrcBar _set_runstop normal
I SrcBar enable_ui {2 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop normal}
I SrcBar _set_runstop normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I GDBWin constructor {}
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I Session notice_file_change {noticed file change event for /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/test.out}
I Session notice_file_change {reloading session for /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/test.out}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I Session notice_file_change {Restoring Target: remote}
I Session notice_file_change {Restoring Target_Cmd: remote /dev/ttyS14 }
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "set_variable" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I SrcTextWin set_variable {Set hook got called with remotebaud 9600}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "set_variable" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "set_variable" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I SrcBar set_variable {Got remotebaud = 9600}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "set_variable" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "set_variable" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I SrcTextWin set_variable {Set hook got called with remotebaud 9600}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "set_variable" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "set_variable" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I SrcBar set_variable {Got remotebaud = 9600}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "set_variable" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I SrcWin choose_and_update {chose window ::.srcwin0.srcwin}
I SrcWin _update {loc={} {} {} 0 0x00000000 0x00000000 {}}
I SrcWin location {running=0 tag= linespec={} {} {} 0 0x00000000 0x00000000 {}}
I SrcWin location {not running: name= funcname= line=0}
I global gdbtk_locate_main {}
I SrcWin location {new linespec=test.c main /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/test.c 17 0x00010fc0 0x00000000 {}}
I SrcTextWin _mtime_changed {no mtime. resetting to zero}
I SrcTextWin LoadFile {/home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/test.c  SOURCE}
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache {LoadFromCache t /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/test.c S}
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache name=/home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/test.c
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache pane=pane1
I SrcTextWin LoadFile {READING /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/test.c}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_running l=0 d=0 r=0}
I global gdbtk_attach_remote Attaching....
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I SrcBar enable_ui {2 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I global set_target {CONNECTING TO TARGET: remote /dev/ttyS14 }
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I SrcBar enable_ui {0 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Other disabled  Trace disabled  Attach disabled  Detach disabled}
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Other disabled  Trace disabled  Attach disabled  Detach disabled}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=disabled
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=disabled
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=disabled
I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop running}
I SrcBar _set_runstop running
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I SrcBar enable_ui {1 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Trace disabled  Control normal  Other normal  Attach disabled  Detach normal }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Trace disabled  Control normal  Other normal  Attach disabled  Detach normal }
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop normal}
I SrcBar _set_runstop normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I SrcBar enable_ui {2 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_running l=0 d=0 r=1}
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_loaded l=0 d=0 r=1}
I global gdbtk_locate_main {}
I global run_executable {Setting new BP at main}
[...]
I global run_executable {Runnning target...}
[...]
I SrcWin _update {loc=m68k-stub.c breakpoint /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/m68k-stub.c 1206 0x00010f74 0x00010f74 {}}
I SrcWin location {running=0 tag= linespec=m68k-stub.c breakpoint /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/m68k-stub.c 1206 0x00010f74 0x00010f74 {}}
I SrcWin location {not running: name=/home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/m68k-stub.c funcname=breakpoint line=1206}
I SrcTextWin _mtime_changed {no mtime. resetting to zero}
I SrcTextWin LoadFile {/home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/m68k-stub.c /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/test.c SOURCE}
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache {LoadFromCache t /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/m68k-stub.c S}
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache name=/home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/m68k-stub.c
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache pane=pane2
I SrcTextWin LoadFile {READING /home/bwalle/devel/remdbg/stubs/neu/m68k-stub.c}
[...]
W global run_executable {msg=Don't know how to run.  Try "help target".
}
[...]
I ManagedWin _open {TargetSelection -exportcancel 1 -center -transient}
I ManagedWin _create {win=targetselection args=-exportcancel 1 -center -transient}
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I TargetSelection change_target remote
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I combobox combobox::Configure newValue=normal
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I ModalDialog post {POST ::.targetselection0.targetselection}
I SrcWin _exit {}
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I SrcWin destructor {}
I TopLevelWin destructor {}
I global pref_save {pref_save /home/bwalle/.gdbtkinit}
I EmbeddedWin destructor {}