Re: insight help

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 16:44, Robert Balzli wrote:

> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /proj/tpop/rbalzli/H/env/Jobs/Bitgen/lin/bitgen -w -d
> dcm_pips_iob0_par_xdm.ncd head_lin.bit
>
> Error: Error while reading shared library symbols:
> Cannot find new threads: capability not available
> Cannot find user-level thread for LWP 5936: capability not available
>
> Can you help me with this?
>
> I am running  /products/gdb5.3/bin/insight

Couple of comments:

1) You're using gdb/insight 5.3, which is very ancient. I urge you to
try something newer (like a pre-release copy of 6.2 or CVS HEAD).

2) You're problem looks like it sits below the Insight layer
(Insight=GUI; gdb="backend"). Try running your executable on vanilla gdb
("insight -nw" for 5.3; "insight -i console" for newer versions; or use
"gdb" :-) If this exhibits the same problem (and I believe it will), try
asking on the gdb list. Include a session transcript (paste the whole
thing into your email).

> If I can get this debugger to work I may be able to get Xilinx to
> purchase this debugger... This is a demo copy that I'm running.

3) Insight is not a commercial product. You could try asking Red Hat for
a support contract, but AFAIK, Insight is a bit in the "stalled" state
while Red Hat and the FSF try to finalize the donation of Insight to the
FSF. (Insight is still an open source project, just like everything else
on sources.redhat.com, but it suffers from duplicity of copyright
assignment. So right now contributors need assignments with Red Hat,
which I don't deal with.)

If you have problems, it is best, IMO, to ask on this newsgroup. I try
to answer questions as best I can, but this is no longer my day job (as
it was a few years ago).

Good luck.