Cygwin problems

Greetings,

I am running cygwin on Windows XP SP1 as a very restricted user.
Basically I have configured this as tight as I could possibly think of
and I am probably running into problems because of this.

I downloaded insight-6.1, built and installed it into /usr/local, no
changes to configure or anything, just:
$ cd insight-6.1 ; ./configure && make
... as root (Administrator under cygwin):
# cd ~user/insight-6.1 ; make install

When I run gdb, and it is the right one, since "which" tells me so, I get
the command line gdb but no window interface, even if I run gdb -windows.

I have a gdbtk.ini file in the user's home directory.

Using filemon, gdb seems to want to open .gdbinit but if I copy gdbtk.ini
to .gdbinit, I get an error at line 2 in the file and still only the
command line interface.

I finally got the UI up by running:
$ gdb --interpreter=insight

...and it seems to work until I try to view registers once the program
that I am trying to debug is stopped at a breakpoint.  I then get a GDB
message box that says:

"gdbarch.c:3906: internal-error:
gdbarch_deprecated_register_convertable: Assertion `gdbarch-
>deprecated_register_convertible != NULL' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected, further debugging may prove
unreliable.
Quit this debugging session?"

If I say "No", I keep getting this message.

What's going on??

Any help would be appreciated.