Re: "Local Variables" window broken on MIPS?

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 12:25, Ivan Horvat wrote:
> Can someone please point me to the gdb function(s) called when the
> "Local Variables" button is pressed, or explain to me how actually Insight
> communicates with gdb? I suspect that my fix for gdb isn't complete, and
> that
> there still may be broken parts of gdb that I'm unaware of. Maybe
> "Local Variables" button hits one of these parts?

First thing to try: run the varobj testsuite. You can do this by doing
(in your gdb build directory):

$ make RUNTESTFLAGS="mi-var-block.exp mi-var-display.exp
mi-var-child.exp mi-var-cmd.exp" check

Next, run Insight's testsuite on c_variable.exp and cpp_variable.exp.
(You do this by using the same command as above.)

If there are no failures there, then you're into the nitty gritty of it.
When you are at a point in your code where Insight exhibits this
incorrect behavior, open a console window and type "info locals". Does a
list of the local variables appear?

If they do, what does the command "tk gdb_block_variables START END"
give the same list? (You need to provide the start and end address of
the current frame: use "info frame" to find them).

If they do not, you have found a gdb bug. Send a note to the gdb list.

FYI, within the Locals Window, the list of variables in scope comes from
the Tcl command Block::_findVariables. It calls the interpreter command
gdb_block_variables, which is defined in gdb_block_vars in gdbtk-stack.c
(src/gdb/gdbtk/generic). This function be reminiscent of gdb's "info
locals" command, and they should be similar. It is possible that changes
were made to "info locals" but not gdb_block_vars.

[As you've probably guessed, no one is really working on insight
anymore. I've given up trying to keep up with the sweeping changes that
gdb's fifty developers put in nightly. I cannot/will not do it alone. I
have other interests in life.]

Send mail to the list if you discover anything. Good luck.