Problem with Insight GUI mode

I have a problem with Insight 5.2.1 cross compiled for the ARM
processor.   Insight is running on X86 Linux.   I am using Insight
to connect to a remote target using Redhat's RDA.

When it starts up only the RUN button is enabled, all the others
are grayed out.   When using Insight/GDB in this manner you
cannot use the RUN command.    If I open a command window
and issue a STEP command, then everything is fine, the other
buttons are enabled.

I cannot fix this by putting commands in my .gdbinit file.    The
commands in the .gdbinit file execute properly but they do not
cause the grayed out buttons to be enabled.   Only issuing
commands in the command window causes the condition to be
cleared.

This behavior probably make sense for native debugging but
does not work for cross debugging.   Is there any flag to Insight
that changes this behavior?   Any other fix?

Thanks,
Pete.